The Waupaca Country Club golf course was designed in 1923 and is divided by the scenic Waupaca River. A wood bridge originally spanned the river on the sixth hole of the course. Though in good condition, the location of the bridge was a concern to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. The Waupaca River is classified as a Class A trout stream and the erosion at the old bridge site was threatening the river’s water quality.
After inspecting the site, the DNR determined that the existing wood bridge had to be removed. The golf course was given permission to build a new structure upstream, provided the site met the state’s guidelines.
W. Much Constructors, the project’s general contractor, was looking for a low maintenance bridge for the golf course and chose a 75’ long x 10’ wide Continental ® truss bridge.
Crews performed thorough site preparation along the riverbank to control erosion. This, along with careful landscaping, will control the runoff near the bridge and meet the state’s criteria for a sensitive waterway.
When the bridge arrived to the site, installation went quickly and successfully. The bridge fit the concrete abutments perfectly, and was ready for play when the course opened.